The days of barbed wire fences are hopefully waning, even illegal in some areas. The danger of them was apparent as my dad discovered in his youth. He fell off a horse and was caught in the saddle’s stirrups. When the horse cleared the fence, my dad did not. The accident resulted in almost detaching his foot from his leg. Living on the prairie with no aid in sight, his mother poured alcohol in the huge wound and wrapped it up. The scar was frightening.
Presently, electric fences are the norm, using a small jolt of electricity to contain animals. Children often need to test these devices, usually not more than once. Reminds me of the warning, don’t put your tongue on the icy, cold metal pole. They have to try it once. . . just once.